One of the frustrating things about trying to find guitar lessons online is that the information can tend to feel a bit disorganized if you are relatively new to playing guitar. It can be hard to know where to start. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to do a lesson that is way beyond your skill level. That’s why I started compiling this list.
This list is a collection of guitar lessons that have been featured here on Guitar Friendly. The list starts out with the very basics and gets to be more advanced. Even more intermediate players can benefit from these articles. Be sure to subscribe for free in the black box at the right to get updates as new lessons are added to Guitar Friendly!
The Basics & Essentials
Don’t pick up your guitar yet! These articles are perfect if you are just starting out or have never picked up a guitar. You’ll want to read these before you officially make the dive into some lessons.
- Frequently Asked Questions by Beginning Guitarists – Here are some of the most common questions asked by those who are considering learning guitar or guitar players who are just starting out.
- So, You Want to Learn How to Play Guitar? – Are you considering learning how to play guitar? Here are a few things to keep in mind as you start out.
- How Do I Start Out as a Beginning Guitar Player? – Learn some good steps to take in the right direction as your first starting out on guitar.
- 5 Tips for Buying Your First Guitar – How do you decide on your first guitar? These are some important things to consider before you buy your first guitar.
- The Ultimate Acoustic Guitar Buying Guide – A more comprehensive guide to buying your first acoustic guitar.
- The Parts of the Guitar – This looks at the guitar as an instrument. You’ll learn what a nut, bridge, saddle, and more are on your guitar.
- How to Tune a Guitar – There’s nothing worse sounding than an out-of-tune guitar. Learn how to tune your guitar.
Getting Started: Guitar Lessons for Beginners
Once you already know about holding the guitar, holding a pick, and tuning up the guitar, get your feet wet with these beginner guitar lessons.
- Beginner Strumming Patterns – You know some chords, but now it’s time to learn a few basic but really applicable strumming patterns.
- Beginner Fingerpicking Patterns – This lesson will give you the basics of fingerpicking like finger position and you’ll even learn some fingerpicking patterns.
- Easy Guitar Songs for Beginners – You know enough guitar chords by now to learn how to play a song. Choose from one of these ten popular easy guitar songs for beginners with chord charts and lyrics.
- How to Practice Guitar and Get the Most Out of It – You don’t want to waste your time. Here’s how you can make your guitar practice productive and effective.
- Learn to Read Guitar Tabs – Guitar tabs are used to roughly notate a guitar part or a solo. Knowing how to read them can be very beneficial to learning new songs.
More Guitar Lessons
So you have a good grasp of the basics? Try these guitar lessons and tips to take your guitar playing even further.
- How to Play the 12 Bar Blues on Guitar – Get a feel for the form and some different variations of the 12 bar blues.
- How to Transpose or Change the Key of a Chord Chart – Learn how to change the key of any song you know how to play with just a little theory and using the roman numeral method.
- How to Use a Guitar Capo – Figure out how a capo works and how you can use it in your playing.
- How To Play Guitar Fast! 5 Tips to Increase Speed – Want to be able to shred on guitar? Put into practice these five simple tips.
- Major Triad Positions: One Way to Learn the Guitar Fretboard – See how learning your major triads (three note chords) up and down the guitar neck can help you learn the guitar fretboard.
- 4 Guitar Performance Tips for Overcoming Nerves & Anxiety – Are you nervous to perform in front of people? Try these four tips to throw off any performance nerves.
- How to Develop Better Rhythm and Time – Learn some exercises you can use with a metronome to develop a better sense of rhythm and timing.